Thursday, March 6, 2008

Finally - Some REFINEMENT in our lives!

Okay, did anyone else have the Israeli artists come to your door last week? We were just heading out the door and this couple from Israel came to the door. They told us they were artists from Israel, here for a few weeks trying to sell some paintings and fine a gallery to display their work. We've had other foreign groups come to our neighborhood before, and I'd heard good things, so I decided to take a peak. Her stuff was beautiful, but the story behind the paintings are even better. She's traveled many places, painting different scenery. Well, she lives in Israel, so of course some of the stuff was from there. She was quickly going through the paintings, telling us the history behind them, when she came to the one she did in Israel. It's the view from her home, and it's a path that many take (on the Sabbath) to get down to the Sea of Galilee. They believe if they touch the water, they will be blessed or healed.




I immediately stopped her and knew I had to have it. This is a beautiful oil painting. It's amazing to feel the MANY layers of oil she had to used to achieve the desired effects. The large painting is the one with the path to the Sea of Galilee and it took her 12.5 months to complete! The smaller one is from a little village across from the sea. I can't remember the name. This one only took 2 months, but I thought it would compliment the other for where I will place it. It's pretty amazing how lame my prints look next to an oil, and don't get me wrong, I love my prints. It's my birthday on the 7th and our anniversary on the 9th, so Joe asked her to inscribe the back. I love what he had her write, it's beautiful. Then she wrote in Hebrew about the painting. It's pretty cool and I'm excited to have an original piece of art in my home. Hope there are more to come!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Beautiful! And it's huge! You'll have to post pictures when you put them up so we can see all your decor. :)

brownymama said...

That's such a neat idea! And wow- you have REAL art! Awesome!

Heidi Ann said...

You totally scored, those are gorgeous. Are they on the wall yet? Why didn't she come to my house!?!?!?!

Shanen said...

I love those pictures. They didn't come by my house either. I bet they look great in your house.